Who are the Top Chip Manufacturers in the World?
Who are the top chip manufacturers in the world?
Nearly every form of contemporary computing gadget we currently depend on to operate our daily lives is powered by silicon chips. These range from automobiles and home appliances to a number of medical gadgets, and space vehicles in addition to cell phones and computers. A large portion of our modern world as we know it now would cease to exist without computer chips.
Chips are also known as semiconductors.You will find more infographics at Statista
Top 10 Chip Manufacturers in the World?
- Samsung Electronics
- Global Foundries
- Intel Corp.
- Qualcomm Inc.
- Micron Technology Inc
- Broadcom Inc.
- Nvidia Corp.
- Texas Instruments
Who invented Semiconductors /Integrated Circuit (IC)
There is no consensus on who invented the IC.
Jack Kilby of Texas Instruments patented the principle of integration, created the first prototype ICs and commercialized them. Texas Instruments has been one of the pioneers in this field. The first handheld calculator was developed by Texas Instruments in 1967.
Texas Instruments was also the pioneer of Silicon Chips. Germanium was used to make early transistors. The first silicon transistor was created by Texas Instruments’ Gordon Kidd Teal and commercialized in 1955. Silicon could operate at higher temperatures.
Few unique facts about some of the Chip Manufactures
Some unique facts about some of the Chip Manufacturers – Source: History-computer
- Nvidia Corp. is well known for its video graphics cards.
- Qualcomm is known globally for its patented code division multiple access (CDMA) technology.
- Qualcomm also makes the Snapdragon chipsets that are in use in many mobile devices.
- Intel was responsible for creating the world’s first microprocessor chip for commercial purposes in 1971.
- Intel is the largest producer of microchips in the United States.
- Intel supplies microprocessors for computer manufacturers such as HP, Dell, Lenovo, and Acer.
- Global Foundries was the first producer of eMRAM among semiconductor companies.
- UMC became the first company to produce chips using copper processing technology.
- Samsung Electronics has been the world’s largest producer of televisions since 2006.
- Samsung Electronics also lays claim to being the biggest manufacturer of memory chips.
- TSMC is the world’s largest Chip Manufacturer based in Taiwan.
- TSMC supplied 54 percent of the world’s semiconductor chips in 2021
What makes semiconductors unique and difficult to produce?
ASML, which manufactures complex lithography systems critical to the production of microchips, explains the process as follows.
“Microchips are a unique product. Where nuts and bolts can be produced relatively simply, fabricating the layers on even the simplest microchip requires an elaborate process that few companies in the world have mastered.
During this process, which can take months from start to finished product, the silicon wafer will travel through dozens of different machines in a chipmaker’s fab (semiconductor fabrication plant), such as chemical processing equipment, inspection tools, and lithography systems. Multiply that by the dozens of layers that together make up a chip – and this wafer has gone through over 3,000 steps before it leaves the semiconductor fab (which itself is a tightly controlled environment some 10,000 times cleaner than the outside air) and finds its way into electronic products.”
Other Trending Articles on this site: Asia’s Wealthiest Woman Yang Huiyan loses half her fortune and cedes the Crown to Fan Hongwei Mega Food Parks in India – UAE to invest US$2 Billion under the I2U2 initiativehttps://jjbizconsult.com/mega-food-parks-in-india-uae-to-invest-us2-billion-under-the-i2u2-initiative/