The largest lottery jackpot in 2022, a sum of US$ 1.337 billion, was won by someone in Illinois in the Mega Millions lottery on July 29th, 2022. It is the third-largest lottery prize in American history.
Largest Lottery Jackpot in 2022
Following the 29th July 2022 night’s $1.337 billion Mega Millions lottery drawing, one lucky lottery ticket holder in Illinois has become a billionaire. The winner has yet to claim the prize.
The Lucky Numbers drawn on this day were 13, 36, 45, 57, and 67, together with a gold Mega Ball of 14.
Megamillions.com says there was only one ticket sold, matching the $1.337 billion numbers, defying the 1 in 302.5 million odds of winning.
The jackpot is the third-highest lottery reward in American history. The winner would have paid $2 for the ticket, which is the selling price of the lottery ticket. He has two options to select when claiming his prize. Either he could collect a lump sum payment or opt for an annuity option. Under the annuity option, his payments will be made in installments for the next 30 years.
Largest Lottery Jackpot – Calculating the winners Take home money
Megamillions.com, the official website of the mega millions lottery, explains the payment option as follows.
- If you win a Mega Millions® jackpot, you will choose how to be paid: Cash Option or Annual Payout. Prize claim parameters vary from state to state
- Annuity option: The Mega Millions annuity is paid out as one immediate payment followed by 29 annual payments. Each payment is 5% bigger than the previous one. This helps protect winners’ lifestyles and purchasing power in periods of inflation.
- Cash option: A one-time, lump-sum payment that is equal to the cash in the Mega Millions jackpot prize pool.
To understand this further, and give our readers a better insight, we used the Omnicalculator at omnicalculator.com
More details on the Winning Ticket
- The ticket was purchased at a Speedway gas station and convenience store in Des Plaines, Illinois.
- As mentioned above, the winner has still not turned up.
- Many US jurisdictions allow winners to receive their winnings while maintaining their anonymity. Illinois is a state where winners of more than $250,000 are permitted to remain anonymous. The final victor will thus, by all accounts, remain anonymous.
- Approximately $500,000 will be given to the Speedway gas station that sold the ticket.
- There were 29 drawings in a row without a winner; therefore the total winning snowballed up to US$ 1.377 billion.
The largest Lottery Jackpots ever won
Here are the ten biggest prizes ever won in the United States, along with the states where the winning tickets were purchased:
1. $1.586 billion, Powerball, Jan. 13, 2016 (three tickets, from California, Florida, and Tennessee)
2. $1.537 billion, Mega Millions, Oct. 23, 2018 (one ticket, from South Carolina)
3. $1.337 billion, Mega Millions, July 29, 2022 (one ticket, from Illinois)
4. $1.05 billion, Mega Millions, Jan. 22, 2021 (one ticket, from Michigan)
5. $768.4 million, Powerball, March 27, 2019 (one ticket, from Wisconsin)
6. $758.7 million, Powerball, Aug. 23, 2017 (one ticket, from Massachusetts)
7. $731.1 million, Powerball, Jan. 20, 2021 (one ticket, from Maryland)
8. $699.8 million, Powerball, Oct. 4, 2021 (one ticket, from California)
9. $687.8 million, Powerball, Oct. 27, 2018 (two tickets, from Iowa and New York)
10. $656 million, Mega Millions, March 30, 2012 (three tickets, from Kansas, Illinois, and Maryland)
Mega Million Winners History
Find below the Mega Million Winners History for the past 3 years.
Also, read other trending articles on this site: 60% Fall of Crypto Currency in 2022 – A word of advice for potential Investors in Crypto (with an update on 7/7/2022) Google Smart Glasses are back with a new look !! Worlds Most Powerful Passports 2022